Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Monhegan: The Magical Isle



Monhegan Island  is such a magical place.  

Before Lisa invited me to teach I had been there twice with my husband, so I knew I'd like it. As it turns out, my inaugural Monhegan Knitting and Yoga Adventure was one of the highlights of a rather busy 2015. The second I boarded the ferry I felt so at home with everyone – a wonderful mix of newbies and very welcoming return attendees. 
The joyful atmosphere persisted throughout the week as we ate delicious food, basked in the sun while we knit and occasionally trekked about the island. So, I am thrilled to be returning to be a part of this year's retreat. 
Mr. Norah is quite jealous as the Island is one of our his favorite vacation spots.  I've included a lovely sunset photo he took when we were visiting a few years ago.


Last year I spend many of my free hours on Monhegan working diligently on a new book, writing some of the text and on the phone with my editor discussing the perfect wording of cable the many descriptions. This year, not only will I have more time to knit and hike with everyone, I will also have the book to show off!  


Norah Gaughan's Knitted Cable Sourcebook is all about cables, so naturally, we'll be playing some with cables during class, but I want to mix it up. I'll be incorporating several other great-to-know techniques over the week.  We'll touch on the world's easiest color technique – mosaic knitting and explore some pretty things with the popular technique of brioche rib (in one color). 
There'll be a project, but I'm still putting together the last details.  I don't want to reveal it just yet 
– unless Lisa just has :) 



Look for the woman with the huge bags – I'm toting all of the sweaters from my book to the island so everyone can try them on.  I'll have both large and small sizes in sweaters along with the ponchos and other uni-sized items, so there will be something for everyone. 
I love being in the middle of a try-on show. There are always happy surprises. Knitters find that they look great in styles they didn't guess they'd look good in and it's fun to see everyone pass things to their friends to try too.  







In between teaching gigs and designing sweaters, I learned how to spin a few months ago.
Should I bring my spinning wheel along for the ride? 
It actually folds up and isn't bad to carry. 
Does anyone else want to spin too?  
I am not expert enough to make it part of the classes, but it would be fun in the evening or on the porch. 

See you soon!



Norah

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A Minute

Hi Friends! It's been a minute on the blog post aspect of things - many, many minutes. I want to jump back into it with a few things.  P...